Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What is in a name?

القدس
ירושלים   (This is 'Jerusalem' according to Google Translate in case Hebrew readers notice a misspell.)  
Jerusalem
I have no idea how this ended up being highlighted and below not, but I have not figured out yet how to un-highlight it.
For the final project in this class I want to look at what a name means.  Shown above are just three ways in which a person can refer to the city of Jerusalem.  My goal for this project to to look at the motivations behind each title, and how the process of naming is important in how a person perceives place.  For example, 'Judea' elicits a different response from 'occupied territories', as well as from using the term 'Palestinian land' versus 'Israeli land'.  Language is just as important as the sacred geography in how it is used to stake claim to certain areas.  The way in which a person chooses to describe a place could mean the success or failure in a dialogue based on the feelings that are attached to names of places.  


I am not sure yet how broad I am going to look with regards to names for places, if I should stick to looking only at the oldest parts of Jerusalem, or on a broader scale.  There are two hurdles that I can see at the earliest stages of this project. 
 First, that I am unfamiliar with the language of Hebrew.   I will have to find, not only translations into English, but also a way to find the phonetic pronunciation of the Hebrew to see if it is similar to the Arabic pronunciation of a particular place.  
The second obstacle is that regardless of how big or small I look for names, is that I am still very unfamiliar with the geography/places.  Where should I start comparing titles?  However, I think that there are enough resources available that will be able to help me with these two obstacles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment