Saturday, October 22, 2011

Parallels and Paradoxes

I found it interesting how identities change to fit the context the members of the orchestra were put in.  It is mentioned in the article, how some of the divides went deeper than Arab/Israeli, but rather between the two groups divisions emerged.  However, even though there are these divides, they all were able to identify as the 'musician' and play music together.  There really are different layers of identity to each person, that can either be used to draw similarities or exaggerate differences.

It is also interesting how people can think about their identity in relation to others without seeing any contradictions.  There was the time when a player was excluded from an improvising group, because of the excuse 'only Arabs can play Arabic music'.  However, the very same person who excluded the non Arab musician, showed Yo Yo Ma how to tune his cello to play Arabic music.  Somehow being 'Chinese' did not challenge the 'Arab' identity and so it is okay for Chinese to play Arabic music.  But somehow it becomes a challenge when an Israeli plays Arabic music.   Or at least, this is what I feel might have gone through the person's head when he excluded the Israeli and included Yo Yo Ma.  

The concept of 'home' for Edward and David are unique.  Both are detached from physical locations.  It is curious how Edward's place to call home is New York.  He likes how you can be 'in' the city while still not being 'of' the city.  I think this concept speaks a lot to those who are in any type of diaspora.  The notion of being in a place/culture, and yet still being a spectator of sorts.  Then David as well, cites the 'idea' of Jerusalem as being more like home to him, than the actual city of Jerusalem.  It is what the city represents that he finds comfort in.  But the reality of the city just does not match the idea it represents.
To both, the ability to make music brings them the feeling of home.  Reading about how they define where they feel most at home makes me think about where home is for me.  I feel that home for me really is where my family is.  It does not matter too much what city that is, just as long as my family is there.  I call Chicago my hometown, but without my family it is not my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment