Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Self Determination

I really enjoyed reading Naomi Chazan's article.  It touches a lot on what I am looking at in my final project.  She stresses the arbitrariness that is requiring outsiders to recognize a 'Jewish State' when there are so many variations on the definition within the Jewish population.  The way in which people choose to label themselves, or have themselves be labeled by others is important.  She knowingly points out how "a word  or phrase can touch off a new set of controversies on issues where many seem willfully determined to misunderstand each other. Careful analysis and historical sensitivity, on the other hand, can defuse seemingly intransigent demands and irreconcilable narratives, and provide the insight we so badly need in order to go forward."
I found it interesting how she commented that people are 'willfully determined to misunderstand each other'.  It is sad, but it does seems to be true that people are ready to take offense and end conversation, instead of practicing 'careful analysis and historical sensitivity'.  I do want to ask her, if there are words or ways to describe time and place in a way that is devoid of controversy?  It sounds that is people are willing to misunderstand, how can we call people to the table to talk in an analytical and sensitive way?   Also, does this 'willingness to misunderstand' something that happens within the state of Israel?   I had thought that there was a clear definition of the Jewish identity, but this article left me feeling that some people who call themselves Jewish have an in 'limbo status'.  For example, the immigrants from the former Soviet Union.  They would identity as Jewish, but the rabbinical authority of Israel does not?  All parties need people with the willingness to understand.  
Self determination is critical.  I did not realize how dynamic the Israeli population is until I read this article.  I knew that there are Jews of both Arab and of other national descents, as well as for the Christian and Muslim populations.  However, I did not know how there is a substantial immigrant population from the former Soviet Union who are not considered Jewish, as well as the general issue  of how to define being 'Jewish'.  I feel like her article has flipped the typical conversation that typically happens, which is to recognize what is Jewish from an outsider looking in.    I am not sure if this is her exact point, but it is almost as if since the creation of Israel was done by outsiders, that is has felt the need to be defined by outsiders.  However, it is not the responsibility of the outsider to define.  It is the Israelis who must do this, as she puts,  'Asking others to define us by our Jewishness will not make us more Jewish or more secure. It will not give us more legitimacy. Only we can decide who we are as a people. Only we can determine the nature of our multicultural and diverse society. Only we can mold our state, and our democracy.'  


I am very excited for the opportunity to hear her speak tomorrow in class.  I would like to know how or what Israelis are doing to determine their identity.  

1 comment:

  1. I love part of her response to your questions concerning the naming of Jerusalem. She said, "I prefer three names to one because that way I'm connecting and respecting." Your final project topic sounds incredibly interesting!

    ReplyDelete