Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Banksy and the Wall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e0IJSOq0xg&feature=player_embedded#!

I had not heard of Banksy before watching the videos about the graffiti.  His work is really intriguing and I feel like he can say a lot through what he creates.  The silhouette of the girl floating over the wall via balloons says so much without any words.  I am not sure yet how I feel about the organization that lets people send messages and money to have their message posted onto the wall.  On one hand, it is a good way to spread the issue or the wall, and of what people are trying to say.  However, I also feel that some of the messages are really detached from the reality that the wall poses for so many who live with it daily.  In my opinion, documenting the art/messages that are created and making them available for the world to see would be more constructive.  I really am curious as to how, and does it even happen, that those who live with the wall constantly in their lives actually see what is written on the other side?  What could change or be sent in response to Banksy's picture of the balloon girl?  I think there is potential for a unique dialogue between both sides if they are able to see what the other side creates in response to the current situation.

From my personal experience, I have only become familiar with the graffiti from the Palestinian side.  What does the other side create?  Could there be an organization that tries to create collaborative art that would take viewing both sides to get the whole picture?

1 comment:

  1. I also agree that many of the messages are detached from the situation; they don't really express the "experience".

    ReplyDelete