Thursday, September 22, 2011

In the news recently

USA and the Palestinian bid for statehood

I was reading more about the current USA stance to reject/veto the Palestinian bid for statehood when I came across this article.  What I find interesting in the video part, is the use of words used to describe places.  We hear the reporter mentioning "occupied territories" and the "West Bank", while the Jewish protestor uses the terms "Judea" and "Sumeria".  We can see how deep this conflict goes just by how people chose to describe the land in question.

As this UN discussion carries on, I think we will be seeing more and more how people, both living and not living in the area, react to the unfolding events.  The United States has already decided to veto, and I wonder if this is indicative of its disapproval for a possible two state solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment