Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Journal 6

Discuss the role of music in your life. How does music help define who you are as a person? How is music used as a method of communication, and what do you see as the role of music in conflict? Feel free to share significant tunes on your blog, or in class.

Music plays a very big role in my life. Everyone in my family plays one or more instruments. My mom, sisters, and I play classical music, but my dad and mom love to play folk music. I play the viola, and for a little over ten years it was my life. There defiantly is a release that comes from making music. If you are sad, angry, or happy there is something to play that can compliment the feeling.

Music can communicate on a different level because music is universal. Two musicians who do nothing about each other or even a mutual language can play together. I feel that there is a role for music in conflicts. It can be a non violent way to demonstrate frustration as well as a way to work together with people from the other side of the conflict. There defiantly is something to be said for the unique feeling of being a part of a greater whole when playing in an orchestra. Each section has its own part and voice, but when they come together it is one sound. I remember, one of the favorite pieces I got to play in an orchestra was 'Mars, The Bringer of War' by Gustav Holst. The music is so intense, but it is so much fun to play. A side note, to anyone who knows the Star Wars music, the Imperial March took inspiration from this piece.

I feel that music has the ability to see everyone's human side beyond political and other boundaries.  Music can communicate every emotion and I think that is so important to have a way to express with or to others.  


No comments:

Post a Comment